You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 14

So today it's been 2 weeks since my acl surgery on Aug 18. I really have to wonder if it's going to take as long to recover as what I've read in other's blogs and in reference material on the net. Dr Anderson predicted the earliest recovery time of 3 months while most proclaimed more like 6 and some said as long as 9 months. I mean the swelling is still there and I can't bend it much, but really how long should it take to get those things in order? The muscle will come back in time; I'm not worried about that.

The swelling seems to be getting better everyday and the bruising is just starting to turn yellowish. The portals (the incision holes) are tender to the touch and knotty, but don't appear to be abnormally big.

I'm posting pictures of what my knee looks like now on the 14 day since surgery.

The pic on the left is my relaxed knee. The pic on the right I'm tightening both quads. See swelling looks better!
In this one (which was 2 pics) I'm tightening my quads. As you can see there is barely any definition on the right knee compared to the right.
Here you can see the bruising turning a bit yellow. I have my leg lifted and dangling and this is as far as it will bend on it's own. But I'm sure the little general PT guy will work on that today. Speaking of which.... gotta run hobble.

So physical therapy went ok. The first thing I did was to get on the stepper thing. It’s not really a stepper because you sit down and pump your legs in and out on the pedals. I did that for 10 minutes. Then Drew, the therapist, aka the Little General had me lay on my stomach and he pushed my heel toward my butt. Now like that didn’t hurt enough, he then held it there for like 30 seconds. This was the part that I read about before I had the surgery and everything I read about this torture was true. It hurts like hell! Afterward I did some leg lifts and decided to see how much it would bend after the General did a number on it. Well, as much as that pushing my heel to my butt hurt it did loosen up the knee quite a bit. I didn’t have protractor but it had definitely made a huge difference in my flexibility of the knee. I take back every bad word I said about the General. :) I finished my exercises then iced with the Game Ready icer and was good to go.

No comments: