You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 7

Yes that's right, I didn't post anything yesterday on Day 6. I had stayed up way too late the night before then slept in a bit. I had been working on a beer can holder (knitted) with a neck strap so I could "stand" around and socialize with my friends during the run and still hold my beer. Yep, that's right, this is a drinking club with a running problem otherwise known as hashing. Being my first day away from home since the surgery I had a lot to do. Plus I stumbled around the kitchen and made some brownies. At any rate, I did not take any photos on Day 6, but honestly there was nothing different between day 6 and day 5!

With that said...

Day 7: I survived the outing ok yesterday and never really felt like I was swelling, but the beer and camaraderie may have helped. Today will end the first week post-op and tomorrow I begin physical therapy so I'm sure I'll have something to say about that! The most I've bent my knee is 30 degrees in the brace and I've been extremely careful moving my leg when it's not in the brace. I know that the PT person knows what they're doing, but I'm still a little leery of de-braced movement.

Sooooo, let's see what it looks like today. Oh, that's pretty.





Well, you can see the bruising is spreading. In the picture of both legs I'm trying to tighten my quads. Yikes, even my good leg has lost muscle tone. Ok, so yes, I realize that the surgery knee doesn't appear to have a quad muscle at all. Later today I realized that my calf muscle is like Jello! Oh my!

No comments: