You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 3

It's been a pretty uneventful day with the exception of dozing off and waking up to rain actually hitting me from an open window 8' away. Dave wasn't home so I had to deal with that. Most of the rain came in upstairs through the upper rear deck door and of course my office. I slid on my crutches on the wet floor in my office trying to get to the window to close it. Fortunately I don't believe I hurt anything, but it did startle me and upset me. I got all the water mopped up which is very difficult to do on crutches with one straight leg let me tell you.

I called the people that are supposed to be supplying me with a quick release brace and they should be calling me to set up an appointment. Something went wrong from the get go because I should have had it when I left the hospital. This brace I have now does not bend and that really sucks because it puts too much pressure on the knee when trying to sit up.

I have not taken any oral pain medication, but still have the morphine pump running. Right now I have 90ml left. I did take two doses of the Naproxen 500 which is an anti-inflammatory.

Other than the rain mess it's been another day of lounging in front of the TV icing and dozing off. At 10pm I went to bed. This was the first night I took my brace off to sleep since previously had to use the bathroom so much and it took so long to get the brace on that I didn't want to have any incidents of waking up in the middle of the night unable to go immediately downstairs to use the bathroom. It felt good to have the brace off while I propped my legs up on the elevation platform. I woke up once at like 2am to go then slept the rest of the night until 6:45am... my first good rest since the surgery.

No comments: