You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 15 - Don't *^(@ with me today

I got into it a bit with my PT guy. I was late. Sure it was technically my fault, but he did say see ya Wednesday when I left on Monday; not see ya tomorrow. Needless to say, I didn't check the schedule Monday to see when my next appointment was. I was pissy and he was less than understanding. When I arrived there were no clean tables and I swore Drew saw me. After sitting there for about 5 minutes without anyone saying anything to me or even cleaning a table, I figured I'd go use the sit and step machine for 10 minutes since I did that yesterday. I finished and went back over to the tables which still weren't clean. I asked where Drew was. When he came out he spoke to me like he was scolding a school child, "Why are you two hours late?" Hmm, well. I see. Sure it messed up. They told me to come in anyway at the front desk when I called. They said you were waiting on me, I sat here for a bit, and did the stepper thing; so technically I wasn't 2 hours late! I offered to leave. Did I mention that I'm a little pissy now. It's not easy to "rush" around while on crutches to shower and eat and drive 1/2 hour to PT; plus in my rushing I took a dime size chunk off the enamel on the side of my tub with the brace... I am not happy about this!

Drew made another comment about how he was going to work me hard since I was two hours late. I informed him that it wasn't my intention to be late and that I'll make sure I get my schedule adjusted to fit ME. Ok, I'm venting. I'm annoyed with my situation already and I still have 2 more weeks of dealing with the crutches and brace.

Enough of that.

PT was painful. Anna was helping me today since Drew apparently didn't have the time because he had to leave at 12 even though it was only 10:30 (oh, sorry, I'm doing it again). So Anna wants to strap on a 5lb weight for the leg lifts, "sure, why not, even though I've only done 4lbs so far." She puts the 4lb on. The painful part was doing leg extensions with my knee resting on about an 8" round tube and 5lbs on my ankle. I managed to do maybe 3 and then I kept feeling a sharp pain in the back of my knee. So Anna took the weight off and I extended without it and it still hurt like a SOB. Later she massaged the area and informed me that I will feel different pains in different places at different times. Hmm. Ok. There were two other new exercises introduces today too. One was where I had my calves on a "Swedish Ball" (those big plastic/rubbery balls) and I would extend my hips up so that my body was in a flat line while elevated between my shoulder blades and calves. The other exercise was to stand with a strap behind my knee which was attached to one of those exercise bands. The idea was to allow the band to pull my knee forward then resist against the band and straighten my leg and basically lock my knee straight for a count of 5. Near the end these caused pain too, but around the kneecap. I iced while there then happily left.

No comments: