You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

4 Weeks - Off the Crutches

Yes, that's right. I'm now officially off the crutches! Thank goodness. Saturday was Dances with Dirt, a foot race, and my husband ran the 50 mile event for which I supported him. My hands were practically bruised the next day from crutching to all the aid stations from my car.

So I had left a message on Friday with Marian, my ortho's assistant about what I should be doing and should not be doing in regards to being off the crutches. While I think my PT has good knowledge he's led me to believe that he's not taking my best interest in recovering from the micro-fracture and I wanted to make sure that if he said "do 10 jumping jacks" that I would be able to do them. Ok, that's an extreme, but you get my point. Marian was helpful as usual in telling me what to expect and basically telling me that while jumping jacks may be a little bit much that I should be getting into some heavy duty therapy now. She said if I'm told to do squats to do them within my "pain limits".

I had already ditched the crutches Monday when I got up knowing that in PT that I would be without them too. So at home I could take it easy and get used to walking on my recovering leg at my pace rather than Drew's. It is very weak and I walked timidly on it.

When I arrived at PT we begun on a whole new plan; the acl recovery plan. First Drew watched me walk, then I went to the recumbent bike where I was instructed to pedal for 10 minutes. I had a hard time getting the first rotation around so I scooted the seat up a bit to give me more leverage. During the 10 minutes I moved the seat back a notch twice so that I was more in the position I should be. It felt rickety, but ok. There was no resistance.

Next I just stretched my calves on a slant board. This required stepping on to a slanted board with both feet and leaning forward 4 times at 30 seconds each. This was fine and it felt good to stretch my calves. I did what I like to call the "crane walk" where you take a step and lift the non-stepping leg up and hold it for a second then step with that leg and hold the other one and repeat down and back across the room which is probably a good 70'. Then I did the stool pull and pushes across the room there and back three times. For this one you sit on a stool with wheels and using your heels pull yourself forward then on the return you push yourself backward. My hamstrings were screaming pretty good on this one. Then I did some calf raises; 3 sets of 15. And lastly I did some "squats" on what is basically a padded board that travels up and down on a track at a 45 degree angle with a platform that you put your feet on. I did 3 sets of 15 on this. This felt ok.

I had gotten a little comfortable with walking around. Oh when I say walking, it's more like a baby-step, grandma look and I'm still wearing the brace for support until my quad gets stronger. Anyway, I was going upstairs and put my bad leg on the step before my good leg and tried stepping up. OH MY, that sent pain shooting up from my knee like mad. A move that I don't want to repeat!

Last night I was sore feeling from the PT and my knee felt a little swollen. I also had that mystery bump off to the right of my shin appear again which is just where some swelling/fluid has pooled; it's just sort of a weird little bulge that normally isn't there. My calves however are very sore, but I was happy to carry a cup of coffee upstairs without having to set it on the steps while I butt slid up.

The swelling is looking good and the knobby portals are starting to settle down. The bruising is now gone. I still have several tender spot that hurt to rub, but I guess that's to be expected. I'm still not sure how long the recovery will be. Obviously it will be longer than the average Joe since I don't sit behind a desk. I should ask Drew next time. Of course these guys don't get it when you say you're a delivery driver; they all think you literally just drive. Oiy. I took some pictures, but they sucked. Honestly there wasn't much to see anyway. No bruising.... no muscle. LOL. I did take a picture of the brace thing just in case anyone wondered what it really looks like. In the photo, I have the brace unlocked since I'm now able to walk on it. It's quite huge isn't it!

No comments: