You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

4 hour countdown

Actually it's less than 4 hours since I do actually have to get to Beaumont. Yes, that's right, I'm pulling an all-nighter. I won't even see daylight again before I'm all drugged up and braced up and being wheeled out with some horrific no weight bearing instructions.

Ok, maybe I"m jumping the gun. But standing in my shoes and feeling the way I'm feeling, I'm pretty darn sure there's going to be crutches involved. I do wonder how bad it is in there; it feels bad. I actually wonder if the meniscus isn't torn again too. Every once in a while I'll have that torn meniscus feeling, but never the severe stabbing pains.

Hey the positive side to having a revision is that I already know what to expect! I still have the sleeping elevation thingy I made. Yes, I'm quite aware that these things can be purchased, but 1) I don't want to buy one and I'd probably need a script for it and do you really thing worker's comp is going to pay for it? HA! Oh yes, and 2) I like to make stuff! In fact I decided that the basket of pillows was for one thing dangerous and it's just in the way too much so I came up with some new comfort/elevating/icing ideas.

I think the end result will work nicely. We have this rather crappy coffee table set and the only reason we bought it in all it's ugliness is that the top raises up to you and becomes a table. This is perfect for the couple that eats in front of the TV. Anyway the side table does the same thing. So I positioned that so I could swing the arm over and put my leg up on it. For comfort in this position I made a slant board for lack of something else to call it. The construction of the slant board is pretty much just like the sleeping ramp with foam.

Here's a picture of my new set up. I'll be pretty much living on that one cushion for many days to come. The ice machine is more readily available. The icing pad should hopefully be tangle free. That extra cheapo table thing there will hold my crafts :)

No comments: