You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

48 hours - The first look

It's now been a little over 48 hours since the surgery so I get to remove the ace and gauze and take a shower. I'm a little concerned that my leg is still numb because last time I'm sure it didn't feel like this; which is no feeling. I do still have the pain pump hooked up, but I did last time too. I' guess I'll know for sure when the pump is turned off and right now I'm just not ready to. As a quick side note before I forget, the pump people just now returned my last call to them which was Wednesday morning; 30 hours to get a call back is reasonable??

PAIN/NUMB: My leg is mostly numb from the upper thigh to just my lower calf. I have a lot of pain on the back outside area, but the anesthesiologist said that the block doesn't affect that area because the nerves don't go there.

I cleaned off some of the iodine with alcohol before showering and was delighted to find that I didn't have that nasty sticky stuff all over my leg too. If you encounter that, alcohol will remove it. The shower was without incident which is very good. I redressed the wounds with fresh gauze and re-wrapped it with the ace bandage, but not before getting in a few pictures.

I don't have nearly the bloody mess I did last time which is good if nothing more than a mental relief. I do have some sort of blister which I'm sure is just some pool of saline from the surgery. It really does look like a blister; I'm not going to worry about it. As for the incision points, they look normal. DH was informed that I will have a slightly larger scar on the lower inside. No big deal at this point! I'm sure he had to make the incision a bit bigger to dig out the old screw. oops. Otherwise the swelling looks normal even though I haven't been able to get in a good icing since I've been unwilling to remove the brace until I can feel my leg... up till now anyway.

Here's a couple quick pictures; hope I'm not grossing anyone out! :)

No comments: