You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

After ACL Revision

I never got a chance to see Dr. Anderson before or after the surgery because first they sedated me a bit to insert the pain pump line and after I was simply still out. Dave, my husband, did speak with him after though and he said that it went well. He said the condyle is in good shape (what a relief!!) and that the revision went as planned.

I did have a new cadaver ACL (the bone-tendon-bone of the gracilias aka hamstring) and the best news ever is that I DO NOT HAVE TO BE ON CRUTCHES! Ok, I need them a little right now, but it's day one!!!!

____________________________________________

So here are the events of the day:

6AM arrive at hospital
6:30-8:00 Q&A by Doc's assistant, the nurses, a couple anesthesiologists; surgery prep with clothing, socks, IV, pain pump, BP, heart monitor and all that other good stuff.
8-8:30 Sedation and into OR (don't recall this)
10:15 Wake up in pre-recovery room
10:45 Go to recovery room
11:30 Go home

The pain is pretty bad at this point but only on the back left (typical since the pain block can't reach that area). This time my toes aren't numb too, which will definitely make things way better-- my upper thigh down to just below my knee is very numb.

12:15-7:45 SLEEP

Right now, I feel pretty good. That back left pain area is gone matches the other pain, which isn't that bad.
At first I attempted the stairs with one crutch in an upright position, but felt too wobbly on the second step so decided butt scooting was a better option. Thinking about it now, I'm probably wobbly because the quad is numb and dead so my calf is doing all the work.

8PM I take my first oxycontin, which I'm beginning to feel now. I'm going to ice now WITH THE BRACE ON. :)

No comments: