You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

MRI results

I always like to get my MRI results before seeing my ortho so I can look up terms that are used in the radiologist's impressions. I knew something was wrong, but I really thought it would be the micro fracture. Nope...

There is an apparent re-tear of the anterior cruciate ligament repair; its superior attachment is disrupted.

YIKES! Hmm. It doesn't particularly feel all that instable and what little bit of instability feeling I've had I've been chalking it up to lack of quad muscle. (Yes, it has atrophied quite a bit since I haven't done PT since December.) Let's see what else do we have in the Impressions part of the report. I'll add the meaning of stuff in ( ) as I go along.

1. The patient has evidence of an apparent re-tear involving the anterior cruciate ligament at its superior attachment (the spot where the screw was put in to hold everything in place), with grossly abnormal morphology residually present. (This one is a little disturbing, but I believe it means that the attachment point has morphed into something really abnormal looking... that doesn't sound good no matter what it might really mean).

2.  There is a focus of osteonecrosis (dead bone) with some associated marrow edema (swelling of the bone marrow - very painful) involving the posterior (back side) nonweightbearing surface of the medial (inner) femoral condyle. (The knobby part of the bone at the bottom of the femur.)

3. Degenerative (deteriorates over time) narrowing of the medial joint space (space normally occupied by the meniscus) secondary apparently to prior meniscal surgery. (That makes sense). Truncation ( shortening) was seen, most likely iatrogenically induced (as a result of treatment). No definitive recurrent tear is seen (speaking of the meniscus); however, delineation (the outline) is suboptimal because of metallic artifact present. (Sounds like there's a piece of metal that's not supposed to be in there and so the MRI image shows a bright white spot because it can't "see" through it? I asked Dr Anderson if I had any metal in my knee from the reconstruction and he said no; perhaps this is just some tiny shaving? Still not keen on it whatever it is.)

So that's pretty much it. I see Doctor Anderson tomorrow.

No comments: