You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

12 Weeks

So it's been 12 weeks now since the surgery. If I were a normal person I would be back to work, but I'm not. Dr. Anderson doesn't quite understand why work wouldn't bring me back in a different job while I heal. I reassured him that they don't want me back until I'm 100% and when I mean 100% I mean that they will want 110%. Since he's a football doctor too, I told him it would be like sending one of the Lions back in the game full speed ahead like nothing had ever happened. No easing in slowly... just BAM you're back and expected to perform the same as you did prior to the injury. Hopefully he understands this before sending me back!

PT is still challenging and since I've now been running on the treadmill for two 1-minute intervals I've been very sore. The only new thing that's been changed is now my "step ups" are on a step about 4" higher than the first "normal" step that I was doing; this happened after I had the "you do know what I do for a living" talk with Anna and told her how high the first step is into the truck.

My daily life is one piddling thing after another. Although I have been working on starting up an etsy shop online to sell my crap crafts.  I raked the leaves today for about 20 minutes, but that's about all I could do. Ok so I could have done more, but I really don't like pain. I've been going to the Y a few times a week to swim and do some upper body weight lifting which makes me feel better than I can do an activity without causing pain.

If you've read this from the beginning I'm sure I mentioned that I tore the meniscus in my left knee back in April after a slip and fall in the snow while delivering to a residential house. Well, I scheduled to have it scoped Dec 1. I feel that it's best to have it done now rather than wait. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but then again I'm not doing very much. I fear that with winter sneaking up that the slipping and sliding in the snow will cause it to flare and believe me that is nearly an unbearable pain.

No comments: