You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

9 weeks

It's been a little over 9 weeks now since my ACL reconstruction. I feel like my recovery is going great, but I also have guarded feelings on "testing" it.
PT is PT. There's not much to say about it other than I was supposed to jog on the treadmill for 1 minute this week. At any rate, my PT person, Anna, decided to wait a week before starting the jogging... oops. She did start me on some side skipping things where I pick up a cone and do like a hopping side stepping thing and drop the cone onto a pile of cones 10' apart. Monday was the first day I did this and I was very hesitant! Wednesday I was I a little more relaxed with it.

I'm on the elliptical for 10 minutes each PT session as my warm up and end with a 10 minute walk on the treadmill. Most of the middle exercises are the same as I've been doing for a while now.

I do have to have the "you do know what I do for a living" discussion with Anna so that she understands what physical demands are required of me before returning. I also unfortunately have to schedule the meniscopy of the left knee too which I've been putting off. (sigh) On the positive side the extra time it will take to recover from the other knee being scoped will be built in time for my right knee to recover even more!

My next ortho appointment is on Nov 4.

No comments: