You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

7 Weeks and some

I feel like I've made big progress since my last blog entry. Obviously I'm no longer using the brace or the crutches. I've been swimming a couple of times. The first time aggravated my knee a little bit, but not so much after that. PT is going well now that I've switched therapists. Anna keeps an eye on me pretty much the whole time even if she's not right next to me. Yesterday I walked 10 minutes on the treadmill and for the first time I didn't hold on at all and my form was pretty good all the way through; the last minute I started favoring my right knee, but not like before!

Yesterday Anna had me try the elliptical. That didn't go so well. I feel pain on the downward stroke when the max of my weight is bearing down. I also still have some difficulty with stairs, but that is getting better too. I do hobble up them quite a bit after a hard session of PT like yesterday. I think the thing that aggravates my knee the most is full forward moving pressure like stairs. We've also been doing this exercise where I stand on a foam mat and dip my right leg and toe touch my left toe to 12:00, 9:00, and 6:00 while bending down slightly with my right knee. That causes pain and I'm thinking might be the culprit for my extreme soreness yesterday. I can't visually see swelling, but I can feel it. The Game Ready icing machine is awesome!

On the positive side I am walking better with minimal limp. Yeah.

No comments: