You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

13 Weeks - I'm getting stronger

So its' been more than 3 months now. I'm feel like I'm feeling stronger. But I also feel like I lack endurance. Meaning? It's like I can do the exercises, but depending on which order I do them I feel like my legs/knee are fatigued and I then can't do the exercises. For instance if I do single-leg leg presses at the beginning of the PT session I can do them without much difficulty now at 90#, but if I do them after doing side steps with the rubber band, step downs, 30-second quick steps, and the like and attempt the leg presses near the end of the session there is a very noticeable difference in my ability to perform the single-leg leg presses to the point where my leg is actually quivering while extending. I'm sure it will come in time, but that's what I'm noticing the most right now.

So last time I wrote that I was running on the treadmill for two 1-minute sets with walking between. This week I started with a 2 minute quick walk (3.0 mph) then running. Last week I was running at a 5.2 mph pace and it was quite painful. So this week I decided to ramp up the speed and let my natural running style take over. Oh this was much better. Better than the walking for most of the 2 minutes even. My theory and the truth is that when I run my legs reach out more and and when I plod I bounce up and down which puts more pressure on my knee(s). So yes, I'm saying that running at a 6.3 mph pace is more comfortable than a 5.2 mph pace. For now I'm doing a 2 minute intervals of walking and running for 10 minutes or 3 times I walk and alternate with 2 times of running.

We started some new "fun" games today. One is stand with the bad leg on the carpet and the good leg on a slippery piece of fabric on like a waxed plastic board. Now slide the good leg back and the bad leg bends then slide back up to a standing position; I'm not very graceful with these.

Yesterday I started wall squats. Anna asked me how far I could squat. I didn't know because I hadn't done it yet. Then she wanted to know about squatting with work. I proceeded to demonstrate the 8 keys to l*fating and l*wearing (* would be my paranoia... fill in with i's). I actually did sort of squat during my demonstration with a wooden stand that I used as a package, but I cheated and had my right leg turned way out from the hip to avoid actually squatting down. I think she got the picture when I basically put my left heel on my butt to lift the box up with "smooth steady mot*n. Oh so anyway, yes, I started doing wall squats. With a big ball behind me and against the wall you lean on the ball with your lower back and move your feet out away from the wall then roll down the wall on the ball which of course makes you bend your knees while partially load bearing; this was a definitely a stinger and I was quite sore from it on Monday.

Today was one of those better feeling days doing the exercises. Unfortunately just when you start feeling like you can do it, you get new exercises that knock that feeling right out. But I am definitely getting stronger!

No comments: