You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

THREE MONTHS!

You know this is going really well, when I have nothing to say about it!

Let's see. I'll start with the bad stuff. I was having a lot of pain when I would stand, straighten and put full weight on my ACL revised leg. That seems to have gone away after taking a week off and going to CA even though I did quite a bit of walking up some pretty steep "hills". It used to be a pretty sharp painful feeling on the lower side of the kneecap. I do still have a little bit of pain on the medial condyle from the micro fracture procedure. It is worsens with activities, but does seem to have settled down a bit. It's still better than before when I couldn't stand on that leg to get my pants on!

I've been doing some swimming and working out over the past month, which is not only good for my overall physical fitness but my mental fitness as well. It is very hard to go from being active to having dealt with so many problems over such a short time period. I've gotten a little more comfortable walking without the functional brace, but rely on when doing any kind of uneven surface walking. My right quad is still weaker than my left then again it's only been 3 months.

I'm in a lull with the swimming for now since I just had my left knee scoped to trim the torn meniscus for the THIRD time! Honestly though, if it weren't for the sutures you wouldn't even know I had anything done. I've had very minimal swelling; in fact I could see 90% of the definition of my kneecap right after surgery. Today is day 5 and it looks and feels absolutely normal (minus the sutures). I did have a lot of fluid inside the knee that I could hear slosh around when I walked the first 2 days which was rather gross. It's amazing though that in PT on the Friday after the Tuesday surgery that I felt better in my left knee than I had in over a year.... no pain on the recumbent bike, no pain doing rubber band side steps, no pain just bending it. Amazing.

My overall feeling about my recovery is a big smiley face.

No comments: