You Did What??

I tore the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), the medial meniscus in my right knee on 6-2-09 when I slipped/fell backward off a 10" step. A microfracture of the femoral condyle was also discoverd. I felt a very painful pop on impact and another pop when up-righting myself again. It's a very common injury to both pro and weekend warrior athletes. I tore the meniscus in this same knee in 2007. I'm an active woman and a delivery person for a major company so it is imperative that I'm 100%. This is the story of my ACL surgery on August 18, 2009. To start reading from the beginning click and at the bottom of the page there is a "newer post" link.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

4 months!!

I think my PT people are just as happy and relieved as I am that I am doing well and on the way to recovery! I'm certainly doing well. I can walk and stand for a lot longer now before I feel bothered with soreness. It doesn't swell, but it does get sore.

Good things:
  • Full flexibility (have had that for a while)
  • Can stand and walk for prolong periods of time in ONE day, several days still bothers it
  • Can swim long distances - I've done several long swims (1 - 1.5 miles) with very little soreness
  • Can ride a bike (I haven't done this much, but I don't think I'd have a problem with long distances)
  • Can walk briskly for over 3 miles
  • Can walk 2 mins, run 1 min for a mile
Bad things:
  • Squatting - I can squat for a brief moment, but not long enough to do my job
  • Stairs - I still feel a little wonky going down. It's WAY better than before though
Mentionables:
  • Lack of sensitivity - The lower front outside area is still numb feeling. I don't notice it untill I touch it and then it reminds me of what it's like if you touch your cheek after getting novicane at the dentist. I can feel it, but I can't really feel it.
  • Popping - This has gotten better, but is not totally gone.
  • Full straight-leg weight bearing is WAY better, but I feel a bit of that sharp pain at the bottom of my knee cap.
  • I experience some pain on the medial side (most likely the femoral condyle where I had the microfracture rather then the joint line). More activity = more I feel it. I feel it when I am standing on it with my knee barely bent (ie putting on shorts and when contacting step while going down) It's sharp, but not severe and debilitating. Again this is not even close to the pain I had before (yes, the pain I had when the IME doctor said I was fine to return to work)
I wear my functional brace most any time that I am doing physical activities other than walking on a flat surface like cutting grass, walking on trails/grass, moving stuff, walking at night no matter what the surface is.

I had a follow up last week. Dr A recommended that I see him in 2 months. I knew very well that this would not go over with the insurance company so I scheduled it for 6 weeks (or until they send me to their lying IME doctor). I do feel that in 6 weeks I should be able to return to work. (crossing fingers)

When Dr A first walked in the room, he said "What happened?" I could only laugh, because most of the time when I see him I messed something up but not this time! So I laughed and told him nothing and that I was just there for a follow up... LOL. He'll probably be as glad to not see me anymore as I will!

No comments: